Monday, March 31, 2008

Feels like 2000 again

I know spring training is a horrible indicator of how a team will perform in the regular season but I just don't have a good vibe at all about the Astros this season. For the past 10 or so seasons I have had some optimism going into the regular season that they were capable of contending. Not this season. Usually I'm fired up about the opening game and getting to watch them in action for the first time. Again, not this season. That being said, I will still of course watch them nearly every chance I get. I may be down on them right now, but I will still cheer hard.

I could see this season being a lot like the 2000 season where we were consistently all hit and no pitch. 2000 was the season where our supposed ace Jose Lima got freaked out by the short fences in the newly opened Enron Field and suddenly found himself in Detroit by mid-season. The only difference between now and then is that everyone still thought we had a chance to contend after winning the division in 1999 for the third straight season. This season you'd be hard-pressed to find a publication that has the Astros picked higher than fourth place.

I heard Lima is still pitching somewhere in the Mexican pro leagues. Maybe he's ready to redeem himself. The Astros are so desperate for pitching, you never know...

No comments: