Thursday, July 16, 2009

Sabbatical blog - days 10 -13; Only four weeks left in Breckenridge :(

Well, I failed to journal via this blog everyday during my sabbatical like I had originally hoped. Seems like every time there's some downtime to write, I decide to read or Clancy pulls me into playing Wii with him.

As of yesterday, we only have four weeks left here in Breckenridge. I guess I should not say "only" but given how fast our first week went by, it kind of feels justified. Needless to say, I'm not really missing Austin a whole lot right now and it seems like I have spent the last few days trying to figure out how to stay here past August 14 :). I'm pretty sure there's a critical mass of influential folks here in Breckenridge who are primed to start writing about microprocessors and servers and would be well-served by having an experienced PR guy here locally.

What's been going on here in the past four days?
  • Wednesday we celebrated Tricia's birthday in style at Beaver Creek. As you can see by the picture, I spared no expense and bought her as many $1 PBRs as she could handle.
  • Friday we hit the Alpine slide. A few years ago, we had done the Alpine slide in Steamboat Springs. That one is now officially lame after we did the one here in Breck. The kids had a blast not only on the slide but riding up on the chairlift. I'm still convinced that riding on a chairlift is one of the most peaceful and relaxing things to do and is even better in the summer.

  • Today we said goodbye to my mom, brother Pete and his family. Not only were we sad to see them leave, but we also are even more sad they have to venture back to the 110+ degree temps in AZ.
  • Also today, we ventured to the Breckenridge Beer Festival which is put on by my new favorite radio station. I will probably do another blog post that lists all the songs I heard on it that day and you'll see why it's now my favorite. The Beer Fest was a lot of fun. Tasted some good micro brews and heard some great live music. Check out the band Oakhurst if you're into bluegrass.
  • Finished the evening off with some softball and baseball practice with the kids. Pretty sure we would not have been doing that at 7 pm if we were in Austin right now.
  • 671 unread emails on my blackberry as of 10:40 pm MST.

No comments: